Thursday 25 February 2010

Developed cover ideas...

These are three of the cover ideas that I have been developing. This top design uses linking lines to connect the title, author and blurb together. I am not that enamoured with this design, as it doesn't express the themes of the story well enough. I think that the inclusion of colours may help, but I think the design is lacking expression overall.


This design is more traditional - the cut corners are meant to resemble labels tucked into a backing paper. It is interesting, and sort of has a 19th Century feel to it, but I think that the theme of the story is totally lost and the book looks like it has no emotion. This is a design I will not be developing further, it is too dull.


These designs have stemmed from a hand drawn initiative. I think that the contrasts between the hand drawn and digital type works well and gives the titles personality. The Kipps design is an altered digital type face, the extended descenders on the Ps is designed to represent how Kipps doesn't fit into the life mapped out for him. The Love and Mr Lewisham design is a juxtaposition of the expressive love and the straight and uptight Mr.Lewisham. Finally the history of Mr Polly is designed to represent the quirkiness of Mr Polly and the dull and mundane life style that he has. I am pleased with the initial ideas for these designs, I think that they have some milage in them, and could create modern and engaging cover designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment