Friday 4 June 2010

OUGD303 FMP Evaluation...

The main focus of this module has been print. Designing for print in a variety of disciplines, with each of my chosen briefs forming part of an overall skill set. I have learnt a lot during this module, the majority of which has come from working with a client and using their input to better a brief. The End of Year Show and Fashion Yearbook briefs have both been very high-profile in this module and taken a considerable amount of time to produce, due to checking and proofing before printing. Gaining the input from a client makes designing easier because there is a clear starting point and a clear outcome, the client knows what they want and are able to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ more easily than I can. Both of these briefs have required liaising with printers. The Fashion Yearbook especially, has been very focused on finding the right printer and working with them to get exactly what we want. Numerous phone calls, emails and negotiating quotes has shown me that being a designer is equal parts creativity and management. I feel that this has helped me to understand ‘real world’ designing a little better, and is undoubtedly a very valuable experience. I am also now much more aware of the processes and protocols that are required when sending a finished brief to print.

My general design practice and skills have become more polished. As I have been able to focus on briefs that I know will play to my strengths, I have taken it as a priority to use the unexplored as an opportunity to better myself. The Look-Book brief was turned around in 24 hours, which is something I have never done before. Through this I have discovered that I can produce strong and suitable work in a short space of time when the brief is clear and the decisions are quick. I enjoyed this brief, partially because of the pressure, but mainly because I was able to focus purely on one thing for 24 hours and get it resolved.

My design context showed me that designers really enjoy seeing/handling their finished work. I have experienced this with a couple of briefs, and it is incredibly satisfying. The real pleasure comes when presenting the client with a final finished product, their reaction is very rewarding and fulfilling. Being told that you’ve done a good job is wonderful.

This module has been very long and it is hard to remember even starting some of these briefs. If I could start over I think that I would have preferred to work on each brief individually for a week. Being able to really focus in and get ideas rolling before moving onto something totally different would possibly have helped my idea development and increased the number of briefs that I could have completed. The diversity of the briefs I have produced has been really enjoyable, I am proud to include each one in my portfolio and show the breadth of skills that I have to offer.

For me this module represented an opportunity to full exploit all of the areas that I have developed in through my three years. With a total of seven briefs completed, three of which have had considerable client input, I feel that my work has moved up a gear and I am now able to design ‘in the real world’ and communicate with clients on a very professional level.

No comments:

Post a Comment