Friday 4 June 2010

Evaluation: Value Packaging...

Initially I was quite excited about this brief. The development stages and idea generation went quite well and crit feedback was positive. My problems arose when I was given conflicting feedback at crits. Before Easter my design ideas were quite brutally shot down, and I was advised to go back several steps to an idea that I had discarded early on. I was disappointed by this as I had intended to finish the design work during the first week of Easter and have it ready for photography by the time I got back to Leeds. I took this advice in my stride and made further developments over Easter and came up with a much stronger design solution, which I was pleased with.

In the final progress crit I got some feedback that suggested I use just a single colour print to save on print costs. This has been part of my initial idea, and I was again disappointed and a little incensed because I had been through all of this already. I concluded from other feedback that the design I had come up with and I wanted to present as my final design was suitable and strong.

Conflicting feedback is a real problem because it sends you in two directions without any real guidance of what is best. I think that more in depth feedback is occasionally required, rather than a few scribbled words on a post-it note.

I feel that overall this project taught me a lot about how to approach a brief, and that getting feedback about initial ideas is really important. Taking feedback on board and making it relevant to project is necessary, there are times when you just have to make decisions for yourself. Packaging design is one of my main interest and I want to pursue it further because I really enjoy the processes involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment