Friday 9 April 2010

Banner development and decisions...

I designed three long banners, each one showing a different novel. I am now unsure whether I am going to use them, simply because the cover posters are so strong. I do think that they may be suitable for shop windows, or an alternative in-store advertising. I printed some smaller scale versions for the crit, and I am unsure whether the type stands out well enough. I have experimented with the colour of the type, and trying to balance the overall layout...

1. This was the design I showed in the crit. Having printed it, I can see that the grey type might be too pale, and not really strong enough to compete with the photograph (though I want this to remain as the focus).






















2. I have changed the grey type to black, and left the dividing lines in grey. I don't think this is the best option, as the type now looks very dark, and the hierarchy is a bit off.






















3. I have changed all the type to the cover colour, and left the dividing lines as grey. I like this option as the use of more colour is making it more eye catching. I think that maybe the title could be in colour, and the rest of the type in a dark - almost black - grey colour. The type needs impact, but also a little variation.






















4. I have suddenly wondered if the title of the book needs to be at the top of the poster, because it is quite large and clear on the cover. Showing it twice, and both so high up in the hierarchy of information seems a little pointless...

The type being all coloured works better here as there is less of it, and I think that the overall design is much better. The title of the book is not needed twice, so I think getting rid of it is a good idea. This also helps to make the photograph of the books stand out better because it is the main focus of the layout.


No comments:

Post a Comment