Thursday 1 April 2010

Packaging developments...

I have been considering the points made at my crit last week. I do agree that the design for the packaging needs to be more exciting and engaging. I have developed the designs, and tried to incorporate some of the other elements from my initial development that people said were working better than what I presented at the crit...

I have experimented further with the striping element, and with having a band that cuts across the entire label. I have also brought back the Value 'sticker' because it adds a less structured element to the overall design. I have altered the typefaces. The first design here uses an italic serif, while the others all use uppercase Avant Garde in varying weights.

I think that there are elements within these designs that are working, and that can be developed further. In particular:
  • The Avant Garde typeface; is modern and contemporary but it is also strong and bold and easy to read. I think that it engages well with the rest of the design because it is quite square and crisp.
  • The Value 'sticker'; has something fun and playful about it, and brings in the idea of stickering products because they are on special offer etc. I like that it is circular, when the rest of the designs are quite liner and straight. The circle also works because the current Value design uses a circle motif (to little effect) and incorporating it in this way would tie it back in with the current branding.
  • The horizontal 'banner'; acts as a sort of secondary label and also the type to stand out well. It also helps to incorporate more of the colours, and provides the opportunity to have a decorative and patterned background. I think that a background could be a good element to pursue further.


No comments:

Post a Comment